At Epping St Johns we are keen to promote the achievements of our alumni and show current and prospective students the diverse range of career paths our past students have followed. The high achievements of past pupils across such a wide selection of careers, we believe, reflects the well-rounded education on offer and demonstrates how we help to develop each pupil’s individual talents and strengths
All our students are inspired by the success of our alumni, so share your experiences of College, University or your career path with them. This can be done by adding to our alumni career profile, or why not become a volunteer ambassador, taking part in our inspirational talks or careers events

Why become a volunteer ambassador.
• Enrich and support student experiences by being a resource for them to use
• Help give advice and support to students
• Give something back to the next generation.
• Attend talks and promote university life or a particular career to students
• It looks great on a CV!

To submit an alumni career profile or become a volunteer contact vmadden@esj.essex.sch.uk


Thursday 26 June 2014

Ian Farrar


My name is Ian Farrar, and I am a former student of St. Johns Comprehensive School in Epping, Essex.  I currently live in Pennsylvania, USA, where I am employed as a Principle Scientist for an environmental consulting company. 

 Whilst attending St. Johns, I studied eight GCSEs, including Science and Technology.  This was followed by three ‘A’ levels (Geography, Physics and Chemistry) from Epping Forest College in Loughton, Essex.  A few years later, I attended Anglia Ruskin University and completed an undergraduate degree in Geology.  During my studies at Anglia, I spent one year as an exchange student at Marshall University in West Virginia, USA.  After completing my undergraduate degree at Anglia, I returned to Marshall University for a graduate degree in Physical Science. 

 My professional career began in the midst of my graduate studies in the USA.  While taking part-time classes during the summer, I was also employed as a part-time intern for a gas company in West Virginia.  I worked for their Environmental Remediation program, which was responsible for cleaning up contaminated land sites owned by the gas company.  This intern position led to full time employment as a GIS (Geographical Information Systems) Database Administrator and Environmental Remediation Coordinator. 

 After spending six years in the USA, I returned to the UK and worked as an Environmental Remediation Consultant for various companies.  The purpose of my job was to manage projects that cleaned up contaminated land sites across England.  I worked in London for a period of time, then later moved to Shrewsbury, Shropshire.  More recently, I moved back to the USA where I currently work as a Principal Scientist for Applied Geology and Environmental Science, Inc. (AGES).”

No comments:

Post a Comment